Maria Langegg has an eventful history, and shortly after its foundation it became the destination of many people seeking help. Around the year 1600, Langegg was a Catholic island in a Protestant environment. The Salzburg archiepiscopal administrator, Matthäus Häring, held office in the Langeggerhof. When his daughter recovered from a serious illness, he built a chapel and put on display the image of the Virgin Mary before which he had prayed. It would soon receive many visitors.
The Habsburgs, monasteries and loyal noblemen supported the pilgrimage, and in 1645 they brought to Langegg the Servites, who subsequently built the monastery. Prior to the completion of the church in 1773, "Mary, Salvation of the Sick" had already become one of the most important pilgrimage sites in the country, and 39,000 pilgrims made the journey in 1739!
In 1974, the Servites left Maria Langegg and conferred the parish to the diocese of St.Pölten. In recent times the monastery has served as a residence of the Community of the Beatitudes.
The diocese of St. Pölten, under the stewardship of the diocese conservator Dr. Johannes Kronbichler, investigated and inventoried the collection. It was decided to build a pilgrimage museum using funds from the EU regional support programme LEADER+, state provisions and their own resources. The plan, developed by the office for museum planning and consulting, made accessible an ensemble comprising the church, monastery and surrounding area.
Thus a pilgrimage museum was built next to the church; this museum tells the history using all essential artistic and cultural objects. Through documents and votive images from the 17th to the 20th centuries, a tour of the museum reveals the diverse tradition of the pilgrimage of parishes, communities and private individuals seeking help in the face of the plague threat, natural disasters and personal tragedies.
The great paintings from the Baroque period, donated during community pilgrimages following catastrophes, also show historical views of cities and towns. Roller blinds protect them from direct sunlight and also provide information in picture and text form. Central themes range from the religious and political situation in Lower Austria around 1600, the origins and development of the pilgrimage and local pilgrimage customs, through to the rich material culture of devotional objects and votive gifts.
From the oratory you are rewarded with a view into the beautiful fresco-adorned church; the room is regularly used for special exhibitions.
Additional rooms in the museum can be viewed with a guide
, including the library
with the decorative wall paintings and late Baroque decoration, as well as the treasury
with the votive gifts.